Quick job overview
At Prudential we work hard to create an environment that enables everyone to flourish and we actively encourage diversity across the business.
We are looking for a confident and friendly person who is interested in a career in IT development to join our support team in helping them acheive their primary goal is to ensure we provide a stable and secure system for our customers.
The successful applicant will learn how to program using SQL, Windows SQL Server, FUSE, sftp and Linux whilst performing a mixture of tasks including investigating and resolving problems and running daily system checks.
- Investigating system issues raised by our customers.
- Setting up and maintaining users on the system.
- Supporting the testing of changes to the system.
- Writing scripts using SQL that can query the database or update it to fix problems.
- Running daily checks on the system and performing corrective action in the event of a problem.
- Writing and updating process guides.
- Working collaboratively with business resources to find opportunities to improve system processes and reduce the time it takes our customer services team to perform tasks.
Location: Reading, RG1 3ES
Total vacancies: 1
Hours per week: 35
Hourly wage: £8.45
Weekly wage: £295.75
Apprenticeship duration: 15 months
This role would be ideally suited to a school leaver with the ambition to pursue a career in IT development.
It is important that you're ambitious, want to succeed, are a fast learner and that you are prepared to invest time in studying towards your qualifications.
We are looking for fully (aged 16 to 18 years) or partially funded (aged 19 to 23 years) apprentices.
You must have been a UK/EU/EAA resident for three or more years, must be eligible to work in the UK and must not have a Level 4 or higher level of qualification (i.e. Certificate of higher education or Degree).
You should have 5 GCSEs with grades between A and C (with a minimum grade C in Maths, English and Computer Science) or the equivalent National 4/5 in Scotland. Preferably candidates will have some prior office work experience or some voluntary work experience.
Skills and abilities
- Self-starter with a willingness and enthusiasm to contribute
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work with a variety of different people
- Good accuracy and attention to detail
- Good understanding of Miscrosoft Office - specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
- An interest in understanding how systems operate
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good numerical and problem solving skills
- Able to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Strong organisational, prioritisation and time management skills
- Team player
Decide and apply
Telephone interview and online tests
Decide and apply: Read the job description and decide if this is the right role for you. Once you're sure you can apply for the role following the information on the application site. Remember you'll need to upload your CV too.
Telephone interview and online tests: QA will be in touch to let you know if we are taking your application forward and to arrange your telephone interview, which will be around 30 minutes long. There may also be a couple of online verbal and numerical tests that take 10 minutes to complete.
Video interview: After you have completed the telephone interview and online tests you will be sent a link for a one-way video interview with full instructions on what you need to do. You will be asked a question and given a small amount of preparation time before you answer and move onto the next one.
Assessment Centre: At the assessment centre you will get to meet the managers of the team that you have applied for. They'll have a face to face interview with you asking you questions and giving you a chance to ask them questions. There will also be some team building activities and workshops during the day. Some roles may include extra role specific exercises that you will be told about prior to coming along to the day.
Confirmation: We'll be in touch to let you know if you have been successful in getting an apprenticeship with us. If you have been successful you will then get information on your start date and we'll sort out the details.
The qualifications you will gain
Your apprenticeship shall be delivered by a blend of virtual online lectures alongside internal training and on-the-job learning, this will lead to obtaining your Business Administration Level 3 qualification.
This is a fixed term contract for 15 months upon which the business may decide to retain, subject to performance, headcount and available funding. If recruited into a permanent role, the individual will follow the career progression applicable to that specific role/department.
Location information and directions for our three UK-based offices as well as those based further afield.
Search and apply for jobs
Build your career with one of the UK leaders in the pensions and retirement market.
Our employee benefits
We want our employees to feel valued, supported and empowered. So as well as a competitive salary, we offer a flexible package that suits you.