Home insurance

Prudential is here to help keep you safe from the unknown. It’s good practice to have home insurance in place to help cover your buildings and contents.


  • Up to £50,000 contents insurance as standard.
  • Up to £1,000,000 building insurance as standard.
  • Home Emergency Assistance: Up to £500 (per call out) towards the cost of emergency repairs in the home.
  • 12 month guarantee on all building works by our approved repairers.
  • Alternative accommodation if your home is uninhabitable due to an insured event (limits apply).
  • The policy doesn't cover wear & tear, maintenance and routine decoration or damage caused gradually, you ought to have been aware of and it was reasonable for you to prevent.
  • You will need to pay any policy excess (as shown in your schedule).
  • We don't provide any guarantee for work carried out by a supplier chosen and instructed by you.
  • Full details of policy exclusions can be found in the policy booklet.

Generally, insurance companies like to split insurance for your home into two parts - buildings insurance and contents insurance. This provides you with the flexibility to take out the cover you actually need. For instance, you wouldn't want to take out buildings insurance if you were renting a flat.

Buildings insurance

To determine if you need this type of cover, you'll need to work out if you'll be financially impacted if something were to happen to the bricks and mortar of the place you are living in or own and rent it out. In most instances, this will be if you are the home owner, and won't apply if you live in a rented property.

Things to remember:

When insuring your property think about the possible rebuild costs and not the market value your property is covered for. This is a common misconception when getting quotes for buildings insurance. It can often prove less costly to rebuild your house from scratch than to buy another, as the land it sits on will usually remain unscathed. Also, the same type of house in a different area can have a lower market value than another yet cost the same to rebuild.

To evaluate rebuilding costs you can consult the Chartered Institute of Surveyors website, which will help calculate all major factors.

Your mortgage provider may insist that buildings insurance is in place on your property to ensure they are not left without security for their loan.

Prudential Home Insurance covers you for up to £1,000,000 of buildings cover and covers rebuilding your home if it is totally destroyed or damaged beyond repair through:

  • Storm and flood damage
  • Burst pipes and other incidents of water leakage
  • Fire, smoke and explosions
  • Subsidence
  • Vandalism

Please note that some exclusions apply to the above and so you should read the home insurance policy booklet for further information.

Our buildings insurance also includes many other benefits such as alternative accommodation if your home is uninhabitable and cover for replacing locks on your outside doors if your keys are lost or stolen.


Contents insurance

Contents insurance provides cover for the items within your home that do not form part of the structure of the buildings, such as appliances, electronic goods, furniture, clothing and even the contents of your freezer. These are often your day-to-day items, and you'll need to determine if you'd be at a financial loss should they be damaged, lost or stolen. This applies to homeowners and tenants alike.

Contents insurance covers the loss and damage to your personal belongings caused by:

  • Fire, smoke damage, explosion or natural events such as earthquakes and lightning
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Riot, civil commotion or strikes
  • Storm or flood
  • Subsidence, heave or landslides
  • Spillage of water or oil from a fixed water or heating fixture

Please note that some exclusions apply to the above and so you should read the home insurance policy booklet for further information.

The types of contents included under your policy as standard include:

  • Carpets and curtains
  • Televisions
  • Audio equipment
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Bedroom furniture
  • Computer and laptops

You might also like to consider accidental damage cover, if it's not part of your policy. This covers against DIY accidents, paint spillages and so forth, and is available in both building and contents insurance.

As with all insurance, it pays to check your policy documents carefully when you receive them to ensure that you are adequately covered. Ensure the financial limitation imposed by insurers meets your needs for items such as jewellery and electrical equipment. Art or collections may need what's known as 'specified items cover'.

Buildings and contents insurance

As a homeowner you may find yourself needing both building and contents insurance. You might find it easier to manage your insurance cover if you take out buildings and contents together and from the same provider.

Optional extras

To complement our home insurance policies, we also offer a range of optional extras that can be added to your policy for an additional cost. You can add these to your policy when you get a quote online, simply use the drop down box to select the cover you need.

Accidental damage cover

You can choose to cover your home and contents against those all too frequent accidents, from minor mishaps to major DIY catastrophes.

Added to your contents insurance, accidental damage cover includes:

  • Breakages to ornaments or pottery
  • Everyday accidents such as paint or wine spillages on your sofa or carpet

Added to your buildings insurance, accidental damage cover includes:

  • DIY accidents that cause damage to your property
  • Accidental ceiling damage
  • Personal possessions cover

Insure your handbag, portable electrical equipment or any other item you normally wear, use or carry outside of your home. This can also include bicycles, valuables, clothes and sports equipment.

If you choose to add personal possessions cover to your contents insurance it will include:

  • Up to £500 for cash
  • Up to £500 per bicycle (higher valued bikes will need to be specified separately)
  • Accidental damage, loss and theft cover for your personal items
  • Cover for belongings anywhere in the British Isles and for up to 60 days abroad
  • Cover for possessions belonging to you and all your family who live with you (maximum of £2,000 per item applies. Higher valued items will need to be specified separately)
Home Emergency Legal Protection (HELP)

This provides up to £100,000 to cover legal expenses in support of a claim or defence in court. This can cover a number of scenarios including:

  • Contract and property disputes during the buying and hiring of goods or services, selling goods, or buying and selling your property
  • Personal injury following an accident at work or in a public place
  • Legal defence following a prosecution
  • Employment disputes such as unfair dismissal or discrimination

In addition, you'll have access to our 24-hour helpline and claim service, with trained consultants who can provide free and confidential legal advice.

Please read the home insurance policy booklet to be aware of the full benefits, exclusions and limitations of this policy.

Details of how to make a claim can be found within the FAQ section.


Level of cover

Cover for loss or damage to buildings  Up to £1,000,000 as standard. For a higher level of cover please call us. 
Loss of rent and alternative accommodation if for example your home was uninhabitable due to a fire/flood  Up to £25,000
Cover for your legal liability to third parties as owner of your property £2m 



Level of cover

Cover for loss or damage to contents on a new for old basis  Up to £50,000 as standard. For a higher level of cover please call us.  
Loss or damage to contents left outside (within the boundaries of your home) such as garden furniture  Up to £1,000 
Cover for temporarily removed contents, such as those kept by students within their residence whilst at university  Up to £5,000 
Cover for business equipment kept in your home  Up to £5,000 
An automatic 10% seasonal increase in the sum insured from 25 November to 25 January to cover any extra items in your home  10%
The cost of replacing locks and keys for outside doors if your keys are stolen  Reasonable limit 
Cover for damage to frozen food, for example, after a power cut  Sums insured
Cover for your personal legal liability to third parties  Up to £2m 
Loss of metered water or oil if, for example, you suffer a leak  Sums insured 
Theft or attempted theft from an outbuilding or garage belonging to your home  Up to £2,500 
Cover for loss of rent and alternative accommodation if your home is made uninhabitable due to flood, for example  Up to £15,000 


Personal Possessions - optional extras

Cover for loss or damage to personal possessions such as jewellery taken outside your home (items over £2,000 each will need to be specified)  Minimum £2,500 
Cover for loss of money outside of your home  Up to £500 


Home Emergency Legal Protection (HELP) - optional extra

Family Legal Protection up to £100,000 - to cover, for example, a contract dispute regarding the purchase of goods  Optional 

To register a new claim or follow up a claim call 0345 605 9267.

Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Sunday.

To help us log your claim please have the following information to hand:

  • Police reference number.
  • Home insurance policy number.
  • Details of the incident.

For legal advice call 0345 605 9268.

Lines are open 24 hours a days, 365 days a year.

For home emergency assistance call 0800 032 4164.

Lines are open 24 hours a days, 365 days a year.

The policy excess is the amount you pay towards a claim. If you claim on the Buildings and Contents section for the same event we will only charge one policy excess.

Subsidence is the downward movement of the site on which a building stands - where the soil beneath the building's foundations is unstable. The movement is not caused by the weight of the building.

  • Jewellery.
  • Watches.
  • Furs.
  • Sets of coins, stamps or medals.
  • Items or sets or collections of gold, silver or other precious metals.

Accidental damage is sudden and unintentional physical damage that happens unexpectedly.

Important information

We are not recommending one option over another.

Prudential insurance is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited. Registered Office: The Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds, LS1 4AZ, Registered in England and Wales, No 1179980. U K Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

Note the Prudential insurance section contain links to pages outside the Prudential financial services website, which will be outside the scope of Prudential's regulatory protections. Prudential accepts no responsibility whatsoever, whether directly or indirectly, for any information contained in pages that may be accessed from this website. Prudential reserves the right to extend or withdraw any offers without notice and at any time.