Prudential Investment Plan
The Prudential Investment Plan is an investment bond where you can invest your money in a range of different funds that aim to increase the value of your investment over the medium- to long-term, so 5 to 10 years or more.
- bullet Start your plan with a single payment and make additional payments at any time.
- bullet Access to Prudential's Multi-Asset fund range including the PruFund range of funds.
- bullet Tax-efficient withdrawals of up to 5% of your investment each year for up to 20 years.
- bullet Currently able to switch funds free of charge.
- bullet Flexible access to your investment.
Risks and considerations
- bullet This product is only available through a financial adviser.
- bullet The value of your investment can go down as well as up so you might get back less than you put in. If you take more money from the plan than the amount your investment has grown by, the value of your investment will be less than you’ve put in.
- bullet Making withdrawals or the application of charges will also reduce the value of your investment.
- bullet Cashing in your plan or taking out more than 5% (in any policy year) of the amount you have invested, may result in an income tax charge.
This is a single premium investment bond that lets you invest your money in a wide range of funds. This could be right for you if you’re looking for a medium- to long-term investment, of between five and 10 years.
• You can start investing – with a minimum of £10,000 and make additional investments of at least £10,000.
• Flexible options for withdrawing your money – you can take regular or partial withdrawals from your bond at any time. You can set the
• There is a wide range of investments to choose from - you'll have access to our:
• Five Risk Managed Active and five Risk Managed Passive funds which target different levels of risk and potential return and provide access to a combination of investment experts - M&G Treasury and Investment Office (T&IO) (this includes the team formerly known as PPMG for asset allocation.
• Core Multi-Asset funds and the PruFund range of funds. The PruFund range of funds are investment funds. They include a smoothing process that aims to give you some protection against fluctuations in the market, in particular, some of the short-term ups and downs associated with investing directly in the Stock Market.
• There is a range of PruFund funds designed to suit different attitudes to risk and reward. They are designed for those wishing to invest for 5 to 10 years or more. There are the five Risk Managed PruFund funds and also the PruFund Growth and Cautious Funds, the latter two include some guarantee options* (at an additional charge). These use our established smoothing process and give you a choice of funds that target a limit of the amount of volatility (the fluctuations in the value of your investments) a fund will experience. We aim to achieve the best return we can over the medium to long-term (5 to 10 years or more), for the level of risk you are willing to take. *The Prufund Protected Funds are currently unavailable to new investments.
• An additional fund range to complement the Multi-Asset funds which are managed by Prudential and other external fund managers who have been chosen for their investment expertise.
As you can see, there are various funds to choose from and if you decide to change your fund investment, you can currently switch between funds free of charge (this could change in the future) and there’s no Capital Gains Tax to pay. Please bear in mind though that there may be certain restrictions applied to certain funds, details of which you can find in the Key Features Document.
Please note that each fund has its own level of risk and potential growth and the charges for each can vary.
Access to the Prudential With-Profits Optimum Return and Optimum Bonus Funds is no longer available to new customers investing in the Prudential Investment Plan on or after 11/09/2017.
However, if you are an existing customer pre 11/09/2017, you will still be able to top up or switch into the Prudential With-Profits Optimum Return Fund and the Prudential With-Profits Optimum Bonus Fund.
Reference to With-Profits on this page is only applicable to policyholders pre 11/09/17.
What you may get back from your investment
This will depend on many things such as the investment performance, any withdrawals you make, additional features you choose, charges applied to your investment and any tax liability that may apply. You can also read more about this in the Key Features Document.
You might need to pay tax depending on your circumstances and the options you choose. Tax rules can also change in the future. The above is based on our understanding of current taxation, legislation and HM Revenue & Customs practice, all of which is liable to change without notice.
The value of your investment can go down as well as up so you might get back less than you put in. If you take more money from the plan than the amount your investment has grown by, the value of your investment will be less than you’ve put in.
You can read our investment guides for more information on investing.
• You can see the latest expected growth rates for the PruFund range of funds available through our Prudential Investment Plan.
• If you are looking for the latest fund details, you can see this on the prices and information page which lists all of the funds available.
Before you decide whether this investment product is right for you, you should read the following documents and then speak to a financial adviser for further information.
Key Information Document
- Key Features Document
- Prudential Investment Plan fund guide
- Guernsey supplement
- Jersey supplement
- Your With-Profits Plan (Unitised With-Profits)
- With Profits Plan - A Guide to how we manage the fund (PruFund)
Are you an existing customer?
If you are an existing customer and looking to make changes to your investment, please visit our dedicated Prudential Investment Plan page in the existing customer Investment section of our website.
Book your free financial review today
If you don’t already have a financial adviser, arranging a review and discussing your financial situation with a Prudential Adviser could help you make the right decisions to achieve your goals.
Some facts about your financial review:
- You don't need a large nest egg or a lottery windfall to meet our advisers, they can advice and help with varied financial situations.
- Your first meeting won’t cost a penny. Continuing with a recommendation will incur a cost.
- Our financial advisers can meet you at a time and place that suits you.
We offer restricted advice. This means we only recommend products from Prudential and selected providers.
We are not recommending one product option over another. We recommend you seek financial advice if you're unsure about what product could be right for you. The information above is based on our understanding of current taxation, legislation and HM Revenue & Customs practice, all of which is liable to change without notice. For more information please visit gov.uk.